Discount Freight Shipping in Australia
International freight shipping in Orange is a complex procedure that requires the services of an international freight forwarder.
A freight forwarder is essentially a company or a person whose duties are to organize shipments of corporations or individuals, and to get large orders from manufacturers to the market or to the final point of distribution.
Freight Shipping Company in Orange contract carriers to facilitate the shipment of goods. The forwarder himself is not a carrier per se, but is skilled in supply chain management. Basically, these forwarders can be thought of as a travel agency for the cargo industry or as a third party logistics provider.
Australian Freight Shipping Service Orange
Freight Shipping can be booked for a whole host of carrier types, which include ships, trucks, planes and railroads. Some shipments can use multiple carrier types on route before it reaches its designated destination.
Freight shipping in Orange calls for very specific documentation as it has to go through multiple custom checks before being allowed to pass through. The forwarder would organize the carriage of your international shipment, along with helping the handling and processing of all the necessary paperwork. International forwarders also make sure that your shipment is arriving at the correct place at the specified time.
An international freight Company in Orange should traditionally guide you through the complicated process of international shipping, as they are the experts on the international freight shipping process. This way you can understand and aid your shipment and your freight forwarding company can benefit from this information.
A day in the life of a freight forwarder would consist of the following tasks:
The primary task of a Freight Shipping Company at work would be conversations and negotiations with clients and warehouses that they deal with worldwide. This is because they need to gather information for the purpose of passing it on to the concerned parties that they are doing business with or need to report to as authorities. These would include an SSL – Steam Ship Line, the United States Customs or they might even be the customer themselves.
International Discount Freight Shipping in Australia
Selecting or finding a freight broker or transportation carrier is one of the most critical decisions you will make in your business.
Why? Because if your orders are not delivered on-time and in one piece or without damage you will have likely lost a customer. Like it or not freight shipping services can make or break your company and they are an extension of your business.
The trucking and transportation industry is huge. On a typical day in the USA, about 43 million tons of goods, valued at about $29 billion, moved nearly 12 billion ton-miles on the nation's interconnected transportation network. These domestic numbers are according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics and give you a simple snapshot of the scope or importance of this sector. It is staggering how crucial this business is when it comes to moving our goods and it can literally cripple a nation if it is shutdown for any length of time.
First lets define freight shipping services, freight broker and some other terms used in the shipping industry.
- Truckload: This is where the amount of cargo typically fills the truck. The owner of the goods is paying the cost for a full load to go from point A to point B.
- Consignor: Shipper, person or firm (usually the seller) who delivers a consignment to a carrier for transporting it to a consignee (usually the buyer) named in the transportation documents. Ownership (title) of the goods remains with the consignor until the consignee pays for them in full.
- Consignee: the person to whom merchandise is delivered over to or receiver.
- TDG: Transportation of Dangerous Good. A regulation used to ensure safe delivery and identification of hazardous goods.
- WHMIS: The Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) is Canada's national hazard communication standard. The key elements of the system are cautionary labelling of containers of WHMIS "controlled products", the provision of material safety data sheets (MSDS) and worker education and training programs.
- Intermodal: Is when your shipment involves more than one mode or form of transportation during it trip from origin to destination. Your shipment might start off on a truck, get loaded on rail then ultimately end up in an ocean carrier or a ship.
- Air Freight Services: Carriage paid for goods transported in aircraft or air cargo.
- Freight Broker: A freight broker is an individual or company that serves as a liaison between another individual or company that needs shipping services and an authorized motor carrier.
- Customs Broker: Assist importers and exporters in meeting Federal requirements governing imports and exports. Brokers submit necessary information and appropriate payments to regulatory bodies behalf of their clients and charge them a fee for this service.
- LTL: Less than Truckload.
- FOB Point: Free on board aka freight on board. This term determines when legal title of goods passes from shipper to buyer. This RFQPro provides a detailed explanation on the importance of FOB Points and how they work.
We have put together some tips we hope will help you make a decision regarding selecting the right freight shipping service for your organization.
- Request routing or coverage areas. Smaller firms interline or join forces with other networks.
- Ask about fleet size and number of employees. Do they own their own trucks, how big is their fleet and do they sub-contract work (independents). This may not matter to you but an actual employee of the company versus and independent contractor is the point we are raising.
- How long they have been in business.
- Request a copy of their Spill response plan.
- Emergency response plan.
- Do they have a safety coordinator on staff. How do they handle training. Get copies of all certifications for handling dangerous goods and proof of driver certifications. If you are shipping toilet paper this may not be on your priority list however if you are moving fuel, chemicals or any other products which could damage the environment much of the above applies.
- Safety Records - Sample of an accident investigation performed in their organization.
- Ask for their damage claim history.
- Copy of their liability insurance. You may wish to request anywhere from $5 - 10 million depending on commodities they ship on your behalf.
- Workers compensation coverage.
These are just a few of the areas you may wish to target in evaluating and selecting your service provider.
Australian Freight Shipping Orange Australia
As a business owner, you would not agree to make a purchase that could impact your profitability without first understanding the cost associated with that purchase. Likewise, it is important to know and understand the true freight cost of shipping products and goods. Awareness of shipping procedures and rates can help prevent wasteful spending.
However, small businesses often can not afford to hire a logistics or supply line manager. So what can they do to stay competitive and informed about freight management? Enlisting the usage of a direct freight or freight matching service is both an effective way to control freight cost and manage inventory. Freight management involves controlling cost, maintaining accurate records, and sustaining warehouse inventory levels.
The actual cost of shipping cargo is much more involved than just the actual shipping cost associated with the transportation company. The total freight cost also includes the cost of storing inventory, packaging material, salaries of shipping clerks, computer system to track and monitor shipments, actual freight rates, and cost associated with delayed shipments. Each of these areas must be watched and monitored to ensure careless spending habits do not develop. Learning to package merchandise with the least dimensional space can be accomplished so that shipping costs are kept down.
Another very effective way to keep freight cost down is to employ the help of a freight management company or website. There are organizations that can help match a clients shipping needs to shipping companies looking for loads. This is a great way to approach freight management because not only does this type of service keep cost lower by promoting competition, but also because they often include the usage of an information database. Being able to track trends, inventory levels, and previous time and cost to ship cargo can assist companies in making future shipping decisions.
Keeping accurate shipping records is key to a smooth running supply chain. Understanding inventory trends can help control cost by insuring that a company is not stuck with a lot of overstock. Storing inventory is one of the most costly expenses in the shipping process. In addition, being able to track a shipment makes the trucking company more accountable to deliver their loads on time. Late shipments can affect customer satisfaction levels and thereby affect repeat customer sales. If a business wishes to grow and be financially successful they must have high customer retention levels.
Finally, in order to become profitable, a company should closely manage inventory levels of their own stock and the stock of their retailers and wholesalers. If a retailer can not get the products that they need from a business because inventory levels have dropped too low, then they will find another supplier for that product. However, on the contrary, if a manufacturer has overstock then the supply does not meet the demands and the products cost goes up. It is a delicate line to walk to controlling inventory to aid in cost-effective freight management.
Without controlling freight rates and cost and maintaining proper management guidelines and regulations, then a company's profitability will suffer. Whether freight management is done through a logistics professional or through a third party administer, it demands proper attention.