Discount Freight Shipping in Australia
International freight shipping in Bunbury is a complex procedure that requires the services of an international freight forwarder.
A freight forwarder is essentially a company or a person whose duties are to organize shipments of corporations or individuals, and to get large orders from manufacturers to the market or to the final point of distribution.
Freight Shipping Company in Bunbury contract carriers to facilitate the shipment of goods. The forwarder himself is not a carrier per se, but is skilled in supply chain management. Basically, these forwarders can be thought of as a travel agency for the cargo industry or as a third party logistics provider.
Australian Freight Shipping Service Bunbury
Freight Shipping can be booked for a whole host of carrier types, which include ships, trucks, planes and railroads. Some shipments can use multiple carrier types on route before it reaches its designated destination.
Freight shipping in Bunbury calls for very specific documentation as it has to go through multiple custom checks before being allowed to pass through. The forwarder would organize the carriage of your international shipment, along with helping the handling and processing of all the necessary paperwork. International forwarders also make sure that your shipment is arriving at the correct place at the specified time.
An international freight Company in Bunbury should traditionally guide you through the complicated process of international shipping, as they are the experts on the international freight shipping process. This way you can understand and aid your shipment and your freight forwarding company can benefit from this information.
A day in the life of a freight forwarder would consist of the following tasks:
The primary task of a Freight Shipping Company at work would be conversations and negotiations with clients and warehouses that they deal with worldwide. This is because they need to gather information for the purpose of passing it on to the concerned parties that they are doing business with or need to report to as authorities. These would include an SSL – Steam Ship Line, the United States Customs or they might even be the customer themselves.
International Discount Freight Shipping in Australia
There are lots of individuals who are not aware of the fact that there are some hidden Freight shipping charges which come along with the shipping and handling of an item from one point to the other. Most of these charges may not be included in your first original billing, but you will need to pay such charges when you goods will be retrieved from the delivery point. It is very important to be aware of these charges so as not to create conflicts between you and the freight shipping company.
In order for you to reduce freight shipping charges by as much as you want, you need to have skillful negotiation techniques with freight shippers, and you must constantly monitor freight movement right from the collection point to the delivery point. If you fail to monitor freight charges and inventory, you will likely pay more in hidden charges especially when you have it on your mind that Inventory costs will be included in your freight shipping charges. Most companies increase or decrease inventory costs base on the preferences of their clients, thus you must be in constant talk with the freight shipping company from the point of collection to the point of delivery.
For the freight shipment company, freight shipping charges can be reduced by through centralization procedures in which the shipping company head instructs all the departmental staffs to route all inbound and outbound freights into a centrally controlled point where the actual amount of freights and the amounts of expenditures can be clearly controlled. This will help in reducing human errors that may lead to extra shipping charges. The automation of freight movements can help a shipping company analyze, and review freight charges on a constant basis, this can be done with suitable automation software and a shipping company can make use of data retrieved from such software to make necessary corrections.
Conducting an audit of freight movement on a monthly basis is another way of reducing freight shipping charges, with this system, items are classified in terms of weight packages and rates which are payable on them, the shipping company needs to convince its suppliers on the need to send separate bills for freights and products rather than the duty delivery paid products, when suppliers send separate bills for products and freights, you will definitely avoid some additional charges and surcharges that may arise.
A shipping company can also reduce shipping charges by simply weighing and classifying all items within the premises before handling such items to the shipping line or carrier. You need to have a copy of the classifications made so that any discrepancies in weight can be adequately checked to avoid additional charges that may come from the shipping company.
One of the most effective ways of reducing freight shipping charges on items is by re-negotiating with a shipping company on the costs of shipping to some frequently shipped locations. An individual shipping an item can hire a freight broker who constantly negotiate with a shipping company with the view of cutting down on freight shipping charges as much as possible.
Australian Freight Shipping Bunbury Australia
Selecting or finding a freight broker or transportation carrier is one of the most critical decisions you will make in your business.
Why? Because if your orders are not delivered on-time and in one piece or without damage you will have likely lost a customer. Like it or not freight shipping services can make or break your company and they are an extension of your business.
The trucking and transportation industry is huge. On a typical day in the USA, about 43 million tons of goods, valued at about $29 billion, moved nearly 12 billion ton-miles on the nation's interconnected transportation network. These domestic numbers are according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics and give you a simple snapshot of the scope or importance of this sector. It is staggering how crucial this business is when it comes to moving our goods and it can literally cripple a nation if it is shutdown for any length of time.
First lets define freight shipping services, freight broker and some other terms used in the shipping industry.
- Truckload: This is where the amount of cargo typically fills the truck. The owner of the goods is paying the cost for a full load to go from point A to point B.
- Consignor: Shipper, person or firm (usually the seller) who delivers a consignment to a carrier for transporting it to a consignee (usually the buyer) named in the transportation documents. Ownership (title) of the goods remains with the consignor until the consignee pays for them in full.
- Consignee: the person to whom merchandise is delivered over to or receiver.
- TDG: Transportation of Dangerous Good. A regulation used to ensure safe delivery and identification of hazardous goods.
- WHMIS: The Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) is Canada's national hazard communication standard. The key elements of the system are cautionary labelling of containers of WHMIS "controlled products", the provision of material safety data sheets (MSDS) and worker education and training programs.
- Intermodal: Is when your shipment involves more than one mode or form of transportation during it trip from origin to destination. Your shipment might start off on a truck, get loaded on rail then ultimately end up in an ocean carrier or a ship.
- Air Freight Services: Carriage paid for goods transported in aircraft or air cargo.
- Freight Broker: A freight broker is an individual or company that serves as a liaison between another individual or company that needs shipping services and an authorized motor carrier.
- Customs Broker: Assist importers and exporters in meeting Federal requirements governing imports and exports. Brokers submit necessary information and appropriate payments to regulatory bodies behalf of their clients and charge them a fee for this service.
- LTL: Less than Truckload.
- FOB Point: Free on board aka freight on board. This term determines when legal title of goods passes from shipper to buyer. This RFQPro provides a detailed explanation on the importance of FOB Points and how they work.
We have put together some tips we hope will help you make a decision regarding selecting the right freight shipping service for your organization.
- Request routing or coverage areas. Smaller firms interline or join forces with other networks.
- Ask about fleet size and number of employees. Do they own their own trucks, how big is their fleet and do they sub-contract work (independents). This may not matter to you but an actual employee of the company versus and independent contractor is the point we are raising.
- How long they have been in business.
- Request a copy of their Spill response plan.
- Emergency response plan.
- Do they have a safety coordinator on staff. How do they handle training. Get copies of all certifications for handling dangerous goods and proof of driver certifications. If you are shipping toilet paper this may not be on your priority list however if you are moving fuel, chemicals or any other products which could damage the environment much of the above applies.
- Safety Records - Sample of an accident investigation performed in their organization.
- Ask for their damage claim history.
- Copy of their liability insurance. You may wish to request anywhere from $5 - 10 million depending on commodities they ship on your behalf.
- Workers compensation coverage.
These are just a few of the areas you may wish to target in evaluating and selecting your service provider.