Discount Freight Shipping in Australia
International freight shipping in Sydney is a complex procedure that requires the services of an international freight forwarder.
A freight forwarder is essentially a company or a person whose duties are to organize shipments of corporations or individuals, and to get large orders from manufacturers to the market or to the final point of distribution.
Freight Shipping Company in Sydney contract carriers to facilitate the shipment of goods. The forwarder himself is not a carrier per se, but is skilled in supply chain management. Basically, these forwarders can be thought of as a travel agency for the cargo industry or as a third party logistics provider.
Australian Freight Shipping Service Sydney
Freight Shipping can be booked for a whole host of carrier types, which include ships, trucks, planes and railroads. Some shipments can use multiple carrier types on route before it reaches its designated destination.
Freight shipping in Sydney calls for very specific documentation as it has to go through multiple custom checks before being allowed to pass through. The forwarder would organize the carriage of your international shipment, along with helping the handling and processing of all the necessary paperwork. International forwarders also make sure that your shipment is arriving at the correct place at the specified time.
An international freight Company in Sydney should traditionally guide you through the complicated process of international shipping, as they are the experts on the international freight shipping process. This way you can understand and aid your shipment and your freight forwarding company can benefit from this information.
A day in the life of a freight forwarder would consist of the following tasks:
The primary task of a Freight Shipping Company at work would be conversations and negotiations with clients and warehouses that they deal with worldwide. This is because they need to gather information for the purpose of passing it on to the concerned parties that they are doing business with or need to report to as authorities. These would include an SSL – Steam Ship Line, the United States Customs or they might even be the customer themselves.
International Discount Freight Shipping in Australia
Though sea freight shipping has proven to be the most effective, efficient and economic way of transporting heavy and bulky consignments over long distances, it also has a share of it shortcomings. The disadvantages that relate to sea transport shipping do not however render it as an inefficient service. They only become shortcomings when rated against other modes of transport which can score better in the field of transport. The following are some of the disadvantages that an individual may encounter when using sea freight shipping services.
Sea freight shipping is always considered as a slower means of transport when compared to road and air transport. This is due to the bulk of goods and the weight that it carries. Shipping consignments from one place to another, especially over long distances can take a considerable amount of time to arrive at the destination. Depending on how long the journey is, sea freight shipping can take even a couple of months. This makes sea freight shipping unsuitable when dealing with consignments that are very urgent. One would therefore have to resort to other means like road and air freight. Perishable goods cannot be transported via sea freight shipping especially where there are no special services like refrigeration. The goods may therefore reach their destination when they are stale.
Sea freight shipping is only suitable for heavy and bulky consignments. When dealing with smaller consignments, it will prove to be ineffective. This is because sea transport shipping has a minimum requirement for cargo that has to be transported. It sets the minimum load that one can transport using this service. This means that a consignee who has cargo that is below the minimum cargo requirement will have to pay extra rates to cover for the space and weight that is not utilized. In such a case, air freight can be deemed to be much appropriate.
In the recent times, sea freight shipping has been under the threat of pirates. The pirates hijack a ship together with its cargo and demand for a ransom before releasing it. This can take a considerable long duration before the ship is released. This will mean that there will be disruptions in the normal running of a business if the cargo on board was meant for business. For instance, if one was importing goods for sale in the local market, it means that the stock will be held up for long before the ship is released. Furthermore, goods that are perishable will end up going stale and this will be a big loss to the consignee. The threat of piracy has impacted negatively on the safety of sea transport shipping.
Another great disadvantage of sea freight shipping is that in case of an accident, it is always impossible to retrieve the cargo. Most of the consignment is unrecoverable as it sinks in the deep seas. In other cases, consignments like crude oil can cause water pollution when it spills into the sea in case of an accident. This therefore leads to environmental degradation and poses a threat to aquatic life.
Australian Freight Shipping Sydney Australia
Selecting or finding a freight broker or transportation carrier is one of the most critical decisions you will make in your business.
Why? Because if your orders are not delivered on-time and in one piece or without damage you will have likely lost a customer. Like it or not freight shipping services can make or break your company and they are an extension of your business.
The trucking and transportation industry is huge. On a typical day in the USA, about 43 million tons of goods, valued at about $29 billion, moved nearly 12 billion ton-miles on the nation's interconnected transportation network. These domestic numbers are according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics and give you a simple snapshot of the scope or importance of this sector. It is staggering how crucial this business is when it comes to moving our goods and it can literally cripple a nation if it is shutdown for any length of time.
First lets define freight shipping services, freight broker and some other terms used in the shipping industry.
- Truckload: This is where the amount of cargo typically fills the truck. The owner of the goods is paying the cost for a full load to go from point A to point B.
- Consignor: Shipper, person or firm (usually the seller) who delivers a consignment to a carrier for transporting it to a consignee (usually the buyer) named in the transportation documents. Ownership (title) of the goods remains with the consignor until the consignee pays for them in full.
- Consignee: the person to whom merchandise is delivered over to or receiver.
- TDG: Transportation of Dangerous Good. A regulation used to ensure safe delivery and identification of hazardous goods.
- WHMIS: The Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) is Canada's national hazard communication standard. The key elements of the system are cautionary labelling of containers of WHMIS "controlled products", the provision of material safety data sheets (MSDS) and worker education and training programs.
- Intermodal: Is when your shipment involves more than one mode or form of transportation during it trip from origin to destination. Your shipment might start off on a truck, get loaded on rail then ultimately end up in an ocean carrier or a ship.
- Air Freight Services: Carriage paid for goods transported in aircraft or air cargo.
- Freight Broker: A freight broker is an individual or company that serves as a liaison between another individual or company that needs shipping services and an authorized motor carrier.
- Customs Broker: Assist importers and exporters in meeting Federal requirements governing imports and exports. Brokers submit necessary information and appropriate payments to regulatory bodies behalf of their clients and charge them a fee for this service.
- LTL: Less than Truckload.
- FOB Point: Free on board aka freight on board. This term determines when legal title of goods passes from shipper to buyer. This RFQPro provides a detailed explanation on the importance of FOB Points and how they work.
We have put together some tips we hope will help you make a decision regarding selecting the right freight shipping service for your organization.
- Request routing or coverage areas. Smaller firms interline or join forces with other networks.
- Ask about fleet size and number of employees. Do they own their own trucks, how big is their fleet and do they sub-contract work (independents). This may not matter to you but an actual employee of the company versus and independent contractor is the point we are raising.
- How long they have been in business.
- Request a copy of their Spill response plan.
- Emergency response plan.
- Do they have a safety coordinator on staff. How do they handle training. Get copies of all certifications for handling dangerous goods and proof of driver certifications. If you are shipping toilet paper this may not be on your priority list however if you are moving fuel, chemicals or any other products which could damage the environment much of the above applies.
- Safety Records - Sample of an accident investigation performed in their organization.
- Ask for their damage claim history.
- Copy of their liability insurance. You may wish to request anywhere from $5 - 10 million depending on commodities they ship on your behalf.
- Workers compensation coverage.
These are just a few of the areas you may wish to target in evaluating and selecting your service provider.